Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Thing #10 – Web 2.0 & Libraries

"Library 2.0 simply means making your library’s space (virtual and physical) more interactive, collaborative, and driven by community needs. Examples of where to start include blogs, gaming nights for teens, and collaborative photo sites. The basic drive is to get people back into the library by making the library relevant to what they want and need in their daily lives…to make the library a destination and not an afterthought." ~Sarah Houghton

I really like this definition of Library 2.0 because it gets at the heart of the issue. Everyone can argue over the specifics, such as how it got started, if it’s always been there, etc. What really matters is how libraries relate to their patron base. I am as idealistic as anyone about the role libraries play in our community but it is up to us meet our community on their terms or else there will be no Library of the Future.
I think that here at KDL we are starting to adapt to Library 2.0. Upgrading our patron computers, offering self checkout, and expanding our available services, e.g. addition of ebooks and eaudiobooks shows that we are listening to our patrons and what they need from us rather than arbitrarily deciding what would benefit the patron without their input.
Change is always difficult. I thought that I was somewhat tech savvy but after starting the 23 Things I realized that I have a lot to learn! It is challenging and frustrating at the same time but I know it will improve my service to our patrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment